I have just finished up a week of building some new cornfields for my upcoming series of Antietam games. In prior games, I was using plastic grass door mats to model my cornfields (see the Battle of First Manassas). I thought that the door mat approach was effective, but I was looking to take my Cornfields to the next level.
As you can see I used the Canadian Pine Stem method. To make these I used the basic process outlined on the Northwest Historical Miniature gamer’s page. You can see that here LINK. I also looked into using BUSCH plastic HO cornfields, but I finely decided on using pine stems because they were more cost effective. Like most everything else in this hobby, building these cornfields was very tedious. My first batch consisted of 50 1-1/2 X 1-1/2 bases. Each base has 16 stalks. The good news is I think they came out great and I can also use them with my 15mm figures. The bad news is that I need to do another 75 bases. Time for me to order more materials and get back to work.